Monday, April 13, 2009

Ten Days in Tokyo - April 2009

Cherry blossoms in front of the Kanto Lodge on Yokota Air Base, where I stayed for 7 days during the general court martial I litigated up there. It was third visit to Yokota AB. I'll probably be back. I played the par 3 course on base, and didn't get a chance to play Tama Hills, about an hour away.
The Meiji Shrine in Shibuya, Tokyo. Dedicated to the Great Imperor Meiji. Destroyed in the fires that burnt Tokyo to the ground during our bombing of Tokyo in 1945 and subsequently rebuilt. Hillary Clinton visited the shrine two months before I did in her first visit abroad as Secretary of State.
The torii leading to the Meiji Shrine.
Some sort of political rally of cultural rally with singing and political speeches. It was quite a vibrant weekend all over Tokyo with everyone out to celebrate the coming of spring and the cherry blossoms. I picked a good week to be here. I spend the day seeing as much as I could of the city with Maj Andrew Kalavanos, my senior counsel on the case.
A zero in the museum at the Yasukuni Shrine. The museum is a revisionist defense of Japanese expansion between 1890 and 1945. It's amazing the perspective put forth by this museum at the most important of all Japanese shrines. I would recommend visiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home